Can I claim the dependency deduction?

As with any Tax question, we recommend you check with your tax advisor, but generally speaking you can claim the deduction for the year the child is placed in your home. If you do not yet have a social security number you may apply for a Taxpayer Identification Number which can be issued in the interim. You must complete IRS Form W-7 (see “Resources” section).