Can the biological father of the baby claim his rights to the child before the birth?

Yes. If he has decided to make a claim to the child and his intention is to parent, he should register with the Putative Father Registry. He should also file an affidavit stating he plans to parent and his plan of care for the child. If the child has not been born, he should make every attempt to pay a share of the Birth Mother’s living expenses, which would include medical expenses for the Birth Mother while she is pregnant. When possible it is helpful to his case if he has also attempted to support the Birth Mother through the pregnancy emotionally. It may be advisable for him to retain an attorney who can advise him on the best way to protect his rights.